Review~ Memories of my Melancholy Whores

Sunday, March 8, 2009


Memories of my Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

To celebrate his 90th birthday, the unnamed narrator decides to go to a brothel so that he can enjoy the evening with a 14 year old virgin prostitute...that concept alone may seem disturbing to some as the basis for a book. Luckily, the author doesn't go into details that would make one too uncomfortable, in fact the focus isn't so much on sexual themes but more on finding love, understanding that unmistakable feeling of longing the one you love, and reflecting on life's accomplishments (or lack thereof). Beautifully written, but brief and to the point. Many questions are left unanswered...it's more like a snapshot rather than a fully fleshed out story. I would have no problem recommending this book to someone, although it's not a book I'd rank in my favorites of this year. I'd give Marquez' book a 3/5.

Other reviews you may like:
The Complete Review
Olduvai


3 comments:

olduvai said...

Hi there and thanks for your comment and for the link to my review. Happy reading!

Oh, I read this last year. I agree on that rating for sure. he is so talented and this book was just a yuk book. (for me at least) I am a little saddened about it and haven't been able to look at anything by him since :(

thanks so much for the review! I hope you are enjoying your OT travels :)

Ali said...

This looks....interesting? Sort of Lolita-esque, maybe?

Post a Comment