Mental Illness Advocacy (MIA) Reading Challenge

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Host: Wolfy is hosting the Mental Illness Advocacy (MIA) Reading Challenge
" I hope reading and reviewing books featuring characters struggling to deal with mental illness, whether their own or another person’s, will help remove the stigma faced on a daily basis by those with a mental illness. They already have to struggle with an illness; they shouldn’t have to face a stigma too."
Time Frame: January 1, 2011 through December 31, 2011
Guidelines:  Books read for the challenge must address or have a character with mental illness. The books may not demonize the mentally ill, although characters certainly can be presented as 3-dimensional, flawed characters. Be sure to point out what mental illness or illnesses are addressed in the book in your review of the book.
Challenge Levels:
Acquainted–4 books
Aware–8 books
Advocate–12 books

As a mental health professional for the past 16 years, I'm eager to participate in this challenge and am in full support of it's mission.  Stigma remains at the forefront as one of the most significant barriers to full integration of many mental health consumers into society, particularly in the areas of housing and employment.  I am going to participate in this challenge at the Acquainted level.

Books I have in mind for this challenge that I already own are: Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen, Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, Welcome to My Country by Lauren Slater.  From the library, I checked out Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates, but am not really feeling it.  On my Wishlist is The Lives They Left Behind: Suitcases from a State Hospital Attic by Darby Penney...can't wait to get my hands on that book.

MY LIST

0 comments

Post a Comment