South Asian Challenge

Sunday, January 9, 2011



Guidelines: There are two ways for a book to qualify for the South Asian Challenge
  1. A book must be by a South Asian author. For these purposes, South Asia includes the following countries: India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, and the Maldives. There are no limitations on what the book can be about.
  2. A book must be about South Asia. In this case, it can be set in a South Asian country or be about South Asians living abroad. It can also be a biography or memoir of a South Asian, or of a non-South Asian traveling or working in South Asia. In this case, the author does not need to be South Asian, as long as the subject matter focuses on the region, peoples, or cultures in some way.
Reviews are not required. However, there is an awesome South Asian Review Database associated with this challenge.  There are several levels of participation:
  • South Asian Encounter - 1 book
  • South Asian Wanderer - 3 books
  • South Asian Explorer - 5 books
  • South Asian Adventurer - 7 books
  • South Asian Hero/Heroine - 10 books
  • South Asian Guru - Over 10 books (you can set your own goal)
 My Goal: I'm going to dip my toe in and join at the South Asian Encounter Level.  Hopefully I end up making the Wanderer level, but I've joined quite a few challenges this year so I'm trying to be realistic.  I already have my eye on Between Assassins by Aravind Adiga.

MY LIST

0 comments

Post a Comment