Reading Questionnaire

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I've been trying to commit to posting my first blog for almost a month now, procrastinating for every reason under the sun. After searching far and wide for the inspiration to begin, I came across this questionnaire on Kittling: Books blog. So, here goes--

On your nightstand now:
I haven't been able to find the time to read during the day and after work I'm catching up on missed episodes of the Starz series Crash. So, right before I go to sleep I read a chapter or two from Separation of Power by Vince Flynn. I know I'm done when my eyeballs start to burn, lol.

Book you've "faked" reading:
Back in undergrad I was supposed to read Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison. But, I guess you can say I "faked" reading it because halfway through I resorted to using the Cliff Notes. I still feel guilty to this day because I know it's viewed as a literary classic, but I found it painful(ooh, I hate to say this), and it was weird and I didn't like it.

Book you've bought for the cover:
I fancy myself a mahvelous hostess and am always looking to serve something unique, tasty, and memorable. Once I saw the delectable treats on the cover of Small Bites and read the subheading--tapas, sushi, mezze, antipasti, and other finger foods, I had to have it and bought it right away. It's been a wonderful addition to my recipe and cookbook collection.

Favorite book when you were a child:
I read a lot as a child, but I'd have to say my favorite must have been Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh. I read that book numerous times and distinctly remember trying to be like her--spying on people and taking notes.

Books that changed your life:
This was a hard one. I can't really think of a book that changed my life, but one that has been a guiding force, that's perhaps is in the process of changing my life and which is instrumental in my ongoing quest to grow spiritually and to be a more confident, successful woman is The Power of Being a Woman: Mastering the Art of Femininity by Michelle McKinney Hammond.

Top five favorite authors:
Toni Morrison, Dean Koontz, Barbara Kingsolver, Stephen King, and Wally Lamb

Books you recommend as regeneration when people say "I'm bored by almost all contemporary American writers":
If someone told me they were bored with all contemporary American authors, I'd recommend that they read a book that explores a different culture from their own. Perhaps, How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accent by Julia Alvarez or Native Speaker by Chang-Rae Lee.

Book you can't believe that everyone has not read and loved:
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. I read this book in one night, it was absolutely delicious.

Book you are an "evangelist" for:
Although I haven't finished it yet, I'd have to say the audio version of A Mercy by Toni Morrison. Although I would like to own the book version, I am loving the audiobook which is narrated by Ms. Morrison herself! Her voice is perfect as it dances over the melodically written words with just the right cadence and intonation to bring the book alive.

Book you most want to read again for the first time:
I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. I remember being very deeply moved by this behomoth 900 page book, but can't quite recall all the details. Lent to me by the ward psychologist, it was one of the first books I read after being hired to work at a psychiatric state hospital. I devoured it in about one week.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I'm so glad you chose this as your first blogger post because I always love reading everyone's answers!

I like your blog design, too!

Ali said...

What a wonderful start to what I hope will be many happy days of blogging (and procrastinating about blogging)! I love your answer to the books you'd recommend for someone bored with contemporary American authors. Nicely put.

Cathy said...

Different bloggers do things in different ways, and different blog platforms create even more differences. I do know that if you were to click on my name right above my comment, it would take you to my Blogger profile, and I do have an email address listed on my profile. In my case, that would be a more direct way of contacting me. I know that whenever I leave a comment on a Wordpress blog, my email address is required, so I would imagine that Wordpress bloggers are used to emailing commenters directly.

Hope this helps!

Post a Comment