Review~ Like Water for Chocolate

Sunday, November 30, 2008



Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Captivating tale of a young woman yearning to be with the love of her life, but who can not because of a longstanding family tradition. There is a supernatural element embedded in this tale which emanates from the young woman's strong emotions and manifests in the 'magical' recipes she prepares. Each chapter encompasses a month of the year which makes for a nice, logical flow for the story. I found this book hard to put down and read it in one night. There is such a complex, yet simplistic writing style that is laced with powerful statements that usually close each chapter. I think the author fleshed out each character on a more emotional level, rather than by physical appearance...so I had to use my imagination on that end. Most memorable in this book is the sensuality in the love scenes where the characters are not even touching other.

I absolutely love this book! My score is 5/5.

(There is also a pretty good movie based on this book but the only clip I could find has some very steamy scenes...too hot to post here where my daughter may see, lol)

0 comments

Post a Comment