Sunday Salon~I'm Back times 2! 1/17/10

Sunday, January 17, 2010



Happy Sunday!  It feels good to be back after all of these months.  I fell off a bit with blogging last year because I was on an intense home search and eventually found and moved into a wonderful new home.  You know everything else that comes along with that--changing schools for the kids, helping the kids adjust, housewarming, and days upon days of unpacking (which is still incomplete).  In addition to that, I also earned a promotion to a position that is even more demanding than my previous job.

Things are falling into a nice rhythm now, and I'm finally able to devote more time to my reading.  Oh, and how could I forget to mention the best part of moving into my new home....floor to ceiling, entire wall length, built in book shelves!!  Before I get into what I've been reading this week, let me tell you how I finally decided on buying this particular house.  I'd been looking for houses since November of 2008 and most were nice, but there would always be something that did not fit my criteria.  People kept telling me 'when you find your home, you will know it'. What the heck does that mean?  'You will just...know'.  Well, I know I needed a home that had enough space for all of my books, an in-law suite (not really in-law because it was for my own mommy), and an extra bedroom...wooden floors, a fireplace and a pool would be nice perks.  Perfect would be a house with a weeping willow tree in the yard. 

I kept seeing this one house online but would pass it over thinking it was more than I was willing to pay, but I decided to do a drive by and check it out.  The first thing I saw in the yard was my tree!!  Hmm, I'm feeling something here.  My realtor and I make an appointment to see the home and what do I see in the family room, the book case and my wooden floors in the formal living room and dining room. My house hunting was finally done and we moved in about 45 days later.  Needless to say, the shelves are just about full because I've gone a little overboard now that I have the additional book space.

The past 2 weeks I've made a few purchases. I started off at the local library sale and picked up:




From my favorite independent bookstore, Classics in Trenton, NJ I picked up:




and from Borders online:




Currently Reading:
The Conjure Woman by Charles W. Chestnutt. This is the first of several books I will be reading as I explore classic writings by writers of African descent.  The dialect is a little difficult to get used to, but I am enjoying these supernatural folk tales of goophering and haunting.

I just started Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and can already see that the book is going to be much better than the movie..and this was an EXCELLENT movie.  I am able to see more of what is going in Oskar's mind, how tortured and bullied this poor little boy is by his classmates.  Nothing like your typical vampire story, but just as chilling!





0 comments

Post a Comment