The Black Classics Challenge 2010

Thursday, January 14, 2010


Lhea J. Love: 2010 will be the first year for The Black Classics Challenge. The purpose of this reading challenge is to encourage people of all ages to read great  pre-modern literature that is not regularly promoted in the Western canon. Books for this challenge must have been originally published prior to the Harlem Renaissance (1920) and may be fiction, nonfiction, poetry or prose. The author of the book, regardless of birth country, must be of African descent.  The Challenge has 3 levels of participation:

  1. Curious -- I commit to 3 books
  2. Experienced -- I commit to 7 books (may include 1 anthology)
  3. Enthusiast -- I commit to 15 Books (may include 2 anthologies)
My Goal: To participate at the Experienced level and read 7 Black Classics between January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010.

I have not yet finalized my reading list, but I've started off with The Conjure Woman by Charles W. Chestnutt. 







0 comments

Post a Comment