2009 Diversity Rocks Challenge

Wednesday, December 31, 2008



The point of the 2009 Diversity Rocks Challenge is to ensure racial and ethnic diversity in the authors that we read. There are 5 levels; I joined at The Overlapper since it is for those who are signed up for multiple challenges already. This challenge doesn't ask you to read any more books than which you've already committed.

Goal: Commit to including one author of color in each of your challenges (or pick 6 challenges, if you're signed up for more than 6).

About 65% of my personal library consists of African American authors so I will not count these authors towards my challenge goals since this would not be broadening my horizons. I truly enjoy learning about other cultures, especially books that discuss traditional dance and regional cuisine, but can also appreciate the poignant and often brutally honest depictions of identity issues, racial conflict, and economic disparity. Most of all, I enjoy learning the meaning behind various customs and long standing traditions.


The book I'm most looking forward to reading is Grandmother's Secrets: The Ancient Rituals and Healing Power of Belly Dancing by , Rosina-Fawzia B. Al-Rawi. Others on my list include, which is subject to change, are:

  • Native Speaker by Chang Rae-Lee
  • The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
  • How the Garcia Girls Lost their Accent by Julia Alvarez
  • Kehinde by Buchi Emecheta
  • Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  • Kaffir Boy by Mark Mathabane
Read
  1. The Toss of a Lemon by Padma Viswanathan
  2. Memories of my Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  3. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
  4. Rivalry: A Geisha's Tale by Kafu Nagai
  5. Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte
  6. The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
Challenge Complete!

0 comments

Post a Comment